Mid November already

Suddenly it is already Mid November. I organized a student lock-in, have celebrated my 41st birthday this week, had PTS conferences, and in general feel exhausted. Was it really just a few weeks ago that we ended the holidays?

This is also the month where people are deciding whether to stay or go to the next school. There are some surprises as to who is leaving, but in general it seems as expected. I have decided to stay one more year. The stability of one place for three years is good for the boys and career choices, and the bonus does not hurt presently. It is also good to have made a decision.

Tomorrow I will celebrate my birthday with friends, and relax over the weekend. I will finally get to an art lesson, and then go to the bazaar and buy some material to make a dress for our formal Holiday Ball coming up in a few weeks.

On Monday and Tuesday I have to decide whether to attend both Latvian Independence celebrations, or just one - we are celebrating 90 this year!

I recently bought tickets for traveling to Latvia in December. I am looking forward to the holidays, but not so much to spending them in Latvia - it will probably be dark and dreary. :-( The boys will be with me quite a bit as Todd has to work most of the time, and thus we at least will be able to enjoy some quality time together as well.

Comments

Unknown said…
Sveika Gita,
I met you quite a few years ago briefly in Ann Arbor- through Daina Stukuls and Arturs Kalnins (Guntra Aistars and I were students at that time- in the late 1990s). I have since moved to California, and found your blog quite by accident- but it has been wonderful to read about your adventures- keep up the fascinating posts! Tashkent sounds like an amazing place, and I especially enjoy reading your thoughts on Latvia. I have not been back for more than two-week summertime visits since my dissertation research on higher education ended there in 2003, but have a deep fondness plus mixed feelings about the place- much like you.

All the best, Sandra (Staklis)
Our Adventures said…
Sandra,
I am so glad you found my blog - I remember you very well from Ann Arbor. It's actually funny that you found it rather randomly - Arturs Kalnins who also lived in Ann Arbor at the same time as us had also found it by accident.

I hope that you are doing well in California and enjoying life! I assume you got your PHD and are now working at a university?
Gita

Popular Posts