Khiva Door Obsession

When I went to Samarkand I found I loved Uzbek doors. This went even further in Khiva because almost every door was made of wood. Here I have some 30 plus doors to share, and the scary thing is that those were only the better pictures I took...

A door in the middle of a wall.




This picture was taken in the dark, and I did not realize that behind the door were mosaics until I uploaded the picture to my computer.


The view to the desert from inside the yurts at Ayzalkala.


Reminiscent of a jigsaw puzzle.



I wonder how many centuries this door has been aoround?






Door leading into the Friday Mosque.






The North Gate.

The same gate from the other side.


A peek into a local Khivan home - see the Khivan pillar in the courtyard?


My absolute favorite from this trip.




An insert from the door that follows.



The West Gate.


A new door...




This door was actually above some steps high above. With the sky peeking through I like to imagine that this is the door leading to a magical place.

Comments

Gita - these doors are wonderful! Were they all taken in the same town? Where were these all taken?
Patti A.
Our Adventures said…
Pat,
They were all taken in Khiva - too many to visualize -after a while I gave up on doors and started on pics of pillars, but that is still yet to be posted!

Popular Posts