Moving to Uzbekistan

After enjoying a few friends' blogs, and realizing that if I didn't get something like this going, I could go crazy trying to communicate with everyone around the world, I decided that it was time to enter the blog world myself. Didzis helped me to name the site, and chose the background. We'll see how long I will be able to live with the 'black.' :-) Sometimes we will be writing in Latvian, other times in English. For those of you who speak both languages this won't be a problem. Sorry to those who only speak one.

After receiving my e-mail/letter announcing my new address and move to Uzbekistan many of you are probably wondering why, especially since many of you haven't heard from me in ages.

These last two years have been tough ones professionally and personally for me. Todd and I just finalized our divorce on July 3 after living separated for two years. (We had to wait 7 months for the court date!) I just finished my second masters degree that I had begun just as the separation began. At work I had to deal with a Board that overstepped its bounds in running the school. As Deputy Director of the school and Grade 4 teacher, I basically had the worst possible year in my teaching career. My kids and parents were great, but it was the politics that got to me. As a result the two years have been pretty difficult to put it mildly. I am exhausted from all of this. Add to that the fact that inflation in Latvia is making it pretty difficult for me financially as a single mom, and you have a person who is ready for change.

In February I started putting out feelers for jobs. I had a few bites, but not many that attracted me financially, or easy access-wise for the kids to visit with their Dad regularly. In May things fell into place in Uzbekistan. I enjoyed the questionnaire they sent me regarding my teaching style and experience, learned more about the school community, and clicked with the PYP coordinator and the Director. The information sent out about salary, housing, and Uzbekistan was exactly what I was looking for. The interview was great, and I knew that if I got a job offer I would take it. I just had to OK it all with Todd. We worked together to come to an agreement regarding the boys, and I was able to confidently sign the contract.

It has been interesting to see different reactions to my decision to leave Latvia.

I have some friends who have been absolutely supportive, and see this as a much needed change in my life. A chance for me to regain myself - this is what I see myself. I want to focus on myself, the boys, and return to enjoy teaching.

Others question my choice because they don't understand how I can leave Latvia. I have just finally 'come home', don't I feel bad about it? My answer is that I only have a contract for two years, and if I knew that moving to Latvia meant that my life would be limited only to living there, I might never have moved in the first place. Besides, with my job I don't really get to live as a Latvian - I speak English daily, and have little connection or time to meet with people outside of my work community since the boys friends are all in the community also. Plus, I have recently become disillussioned with society, people, and politics in Latvia. I see that Latvia is not ready to change its approach to Education and that is where I need to be if I am going to participate in Latvia. I recently have been saying, Latvia is not quite ready for me. Until it is, I am going to take a break from my frustrations regarding it, and decide later if I am ready to return.

Others are concerned about the boys' relationship with their Dad. I have made the agreement with Todd that I will pay monthly for their trip to visit with their Dad, so that they have the connection regularly. The direct flight from Tashkent to Riga twice a week makes this possible. I feel that it is extremely important to continue to develop this relationship consistently. Additionally in October, December, March and June-August, they will be spending weeks at a time with their Dad. Todd will come to visit them in Tashkent in September and April. Plus, they will get frequent flier miles on top it.

My family is absolutely supportive, and I love them for that! My sister is moving to Riga in August, and it will now be strange to be visiting her here instead of the other way round. My Mum is moving partially back to Australia. She will be there many months, and return to Latvia in the summer. We will still be in different parts of the world, but hopefully we will be able to see each other regularly enough.

The boys are excited, and nervous at the same time. They will miss their Dad and their friends, but know that they are going to experience a new adventure, with a new school and new friends. They also know that this move will improve our lives financially. We have also been promised a home with a garden in which to live - they are excited that they will no longer have to do apartment living as in Latvia.

I am personally very excited to experience a new school environment, to learn about a new culture, and to work towards regaining myself.

If you are interested in seeing where I will be teaching, you can go to the website:



To learn more about Uzbekistan and what my life could be like:


The boys and I look forward to sharing our adventures with you and reading your comments.

Comments

Mozaika said…
Gita - es tevi pilnībā saprotu un apbrīnoju tavu uzņēmību un gatavību iespaidot savu dzīvi! Good for you! Žēl, ka mēs netikām uz tavu atvadu ballīti, bet tu taču būsi atpakaļ Rīgā un tad neaizmirsti piezvanīt arī mums. Lai tev veicas un izbaudi jauno piedzīvojumu,
Linda
Joanie said…
Gita, hello , this is joanie, from Mason , mi, times,,, i have often wondered of your well being. whit and i are fine, he's 20 last june, i am older, parker passed in 02, but maybe you knew that. write sometime, i am not up on the blog thing, so don't expect much from me that way. i wish you the best, take care Joanie Klepinger
Susan said…
Sveika! I am very happy for you, Gita! I have wondered what you were up to. congrats on taking control of your life. I've lived in several countries since we last spoke (including the likes of Mongolia for 3 years) and loved every destination. FYI - I'm now married to Kevin Grelling and just had a baby on July 2. Her name is Alianne and she is quite a handful. Write if (and when) you have time. Susan Hahn Grelling
jaz said…
Gita- Good to hear from you. It has been years. Nezinu kad pedejo reizi tikamies. Atklat sakot, nezinaju daudz ka tevi ir gajusi. Tagad apmeram zinu. Varu tev pateikt kad man ir dels varda MIKUS, 16 meness vecuma. Long awaited son, but that is a story for another time. I think it is great and wish you the best on your "Adventures". Turies un atraksti kadreiz.

Sirsnigi,
Arturs Ziemelis
Our Adventures said…
Susan,
I just was finally able to log in and see you comments in my blog. Did I send you an e-mail about moving to this address. I can't seem to find any others. But I couldn't see that I had you in my original sendings... I wanted to congratulate you on your marriage and the birth of your little girl. I am so glad that you finally found the one that was right for you. Its hard to believe that you are settling down though!! Any future trips planned?

Popular Posts