Learning about Uzbekistan

So, I have been reading a few books ordered from Amazon about Uzbekistan. The history is even more complex than that of Latvia. From being overtaken by Alexander the Great, the Mongols, the Russians Empire/later Soviet Union, and all the other strife, the destruction has been amazing: all for the sake of controlling the silk road.

As I read I realize how little I have connected with the modern day Central Asia. I realize that I hid myself from the news from Afghanistan, Pakistan and the entire area. As I open my eyes to the news reports I begin to make the connections to the place I will be going. Historically I have studied the area, I have studied different aspects - I mean who didn't study about Alexander the great or the silk road? But now I realize it is all connected. Samarkand, Bukhara, Kiva - all names from the history books, and now I will be able to see their fascinating streets and architecture.

But right now it is back to organizing my apartment so that my renters can move in when I leave. Did I mention the boiler broke on Tuesday? Nothing like cold showers daily. Luckily I can go out to the room I rent in Jurmala to get a hot shower. :-) Tomorrow we wait around for the boiler technician to come out - supposedly between 12 and 2 - lets see if it really happens then. :-) I know it is all just in preparation for the same waiting I will experience in Uzbekistan... Luckily I have had five years of training in a post-Soviet nation!

Comments

Popular Posts