Learning and growing

Yesterday I returned from my overnight field trip to Hodjikent. It is a small town relatively close to Tashkent, and I stayed there with my students in a hotel. The main purpose of the trip was not tourism, nor particularly to even see anything special, although we had planned to do some stargazing. The main reason for leaving the school was to find a different location in which the kids could think differently about their learning and to plan for their Exhibition, which is the Grade 5 culminating project, and is somewhat of a rite of passage for the students moving from Elementary to Middle School.

I greatly enjoyed the experience for many reasons. I saw my students grow enormously as learners during these two days. Some were forced out of their quiet shells, others were forced to hold back their continual flow of talk that doesn't always connect to our learning. I saw the group dynamics change, and the students begin to see each other in a different light. A sense of community was strengthened.

We also reached our goal to write our central idea and create inquiry points. Those of you who are not PYP teachers and have never written or edited central ideas before may not understand the enormity of this task, and how powerful it is to have a group of students do this. Our next task upon return will be to improve on the first version, and prepare to present it to staff and parents...

Personally, I also found that I grew as a teacher. I really enjoyed working with Soozie as we teamed the whole two days leading the retreat. It was nice to work with someone with whom I can flow so easily in the teaching process. Both of us supplemented and supported each other. We work with the kids similarly, and have the same understanding of conflict resolution as a necessity in the process, and have the same expectations of students in general. We know they all can do it, they just have to apply themselves in a way that works for them.

These two days also made me realize that I just could not imagine my kids learning in another type of environment. I shudder to think of them in a Latvian school where the teachers have no clue about inquiry learning or concept based curriculum. I feel that these two focuses are so key in learning for kids today. It becomes even more important for me to remain as an international school teacher so that my kids continue that learning through high school.

I also realized after a conversation with another teacher on the phone last night that I also enjoy the fact that international schools in general are less touched by the modern aspects of kid society. Kids still get to be kids. They are encouraged to play and be themselves. They are encouraged to live healthily and there is less (although still there) of the peer pressure I remember seeing vividly in the US in the high school that I taught.

After the two day experience I am a bit sad at having to leave the elementary because it would have been good to have been able to do it one more year - and the year that Didzis was there. Sadly, it is not possible, and I do have the Middle School position to look forward to. I have already begun meeting with the humanities department and working with the teachers who taught my subjects last year. The transition will be easier than the move from ISR to here.

Below are some pictures of the mountains from the hotel. Otherwise I didn't really have time to take pictures. The mountains remind of a strange combination of the Colorado foothills and the Chugach Range in Alaska.




Comments

Popular Posts