In Latvia again

Yesterday I flew into Latvia. The shock of the arrival was that it was only 10 degrees Celsius. The day before we had been basking in the 40 degree weather, swimming in the pool, and in general enjoying the warmth of Tashkent.

It was nice to arrive to Mum's apartment without a hassle only to find that the elevator wasn't working and I had to schlep the heavy bags up 6 (!) flights of stairs - these are also in a building where each floor is at least 12 ft. high (3meters) Needless to say the exercise regime has begun.

After visiting with Mum and her friend's daughter and granddaughter, we went to the Freedom Monument to see a ceremony and put down flowers. Yesterday was the 14th of June, and it is the day that we commemorate the deportation of over 32,000 people to Siberia - this occurred in 1940, during the first Soviet occupation.

It was quite strange for me as when I used to come to Latvia before moving here, one of the first things I would always do was put down flowers upon arrival in Latvia. I realized that this is the first time I have done so since leaving for Tashkent. If previously the process used to bring tears to my eyes, I really had no emotion whatsoever. I had gone with my Mum because it is important to her. We stood in the rain for a little over an hour. I had come totally unprepared for this weather and was soaked through head to toe. My next stop was to a store to buy a raincoat, umbrella, and rubber boots. I succeeded with all but the rubber boots.

Every time I return here I feel a bit more removed from this country, and in some ways my heritage. I do still enjoy speaking Latvian, and do connect with my ethnic heritage. But Latvia is not that anymore for me. It is simply a place to return to. A place where I know the streets, the stores, and many people. I wonder if eventually it will become more for me again the future?

Comments

> If previously the process used to
> bring tears to my eyes, I really
> had no emotion whatsoever.

People getting tired of all the crap they see in their own country, and there is no one outside to blame anymore. Dreams and reality do not match. Vilšanās. Or just getting old. :-)
Jason J Hall said…
"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."

— Nelson Mandela
Our Adventures said…
Yes, both of you have hit the nail on the head. :-)

Popular Posts