Back in UZ

I have been trying to get to the post the last three weeks, but thanks to all the problems with the internet and my computer, this has not been possible. After finding out there was virus on my computer, having everything taken off, reloaded, and then finding everything was Russian, having to send it back to be adjusted, it seems to be fixed.... Except for the periodic shutdowns that occur unexpectedly. It is really as simple as needing a new computer. But that will have to wait a while.

Our return to Uzbekistan was quite uneventful, so I have no really good stories to post here about strange travel changes. I can't say the same for the three weeks prior to leaving. I can't really post all the sordid details about that here, but the boys' Dad almost didn't allow me to leave Latvia with the kids. I have been forced to do something that is not right for me, or the kids, and there is very little I can do about it right now. The important thing is that the boys are with me, and they are settling in well after the last weeks in Latvia of not knowing where they would be. Hopefully within the next year we will be able to sort the rest out. I will have some difficult decisions to make regarding life and work, and will have to see what happens.

The return to work and life here was quite a relief after those last weeks. I returned to a warm country with the feeling that I could relax about the small details in life, and rest a bit before returning to work. Sadly, being so busy sorting out all the problems the last three weeks, I lost the time I had planned to work on curriculum so that I would be less stressed at work. So right now I am scrambling every weekend and at least an hour after work to finalize my teaching for the week and the next day.

This need is mostly due to the fact that I am teaching completely new grades and subjects. I have returned to teaching in the high school which is really good otherwise. I am teaching 7th and 10th Grade Humanities. Returning to the subject for which I have the most passion is really great. The difficulty is making sure that I am prepared beyond the basic knowledge that I want to share with the students. There is just sometimes not enough time in a day to bone up on what I have known preveiously. It's all in my mind, but it just has to redredged to the surface. High School questions are more in depth, and I really have to be on my toes more. My students are fantastic, and we are already having discussions that make the teaching process fun. I think these discussions will probably lead me to have more thought provoking Blog entries also, rather than just recounts of life here in UZ.

The hardest part is adjusting to the new teaching schedule. We have a block schedule that gives us four periods a day, on a four day cycle. Thus Monday is not always Day 1. I have to keep on my toes to remember which class I am teaching when! I'm sure it will seem natural soon. It is also a challenge to adjust to the 1.5 hour class time with the students, and ensuring that the work is varied enough to allow a lengthened focus and concentration time. This last part is not as hard, as I had it more so in the Elementary with 3 periods ina row as well. But it will also take some time for the students to adjust to my way organizing the time.

I am also the Grade Level Coordinator for the Grade 7 class. It is nice being with them as they are the same 5th graders I taught two years ago. They already know me, and as a result I have very few discipline issues and they have slid into good classroom habits quite easily. But there are 33 of them, and I am responsible for keeping track of all of their grades, how they are working with all their teachers, and how they are settling in. It is an interesting aspect of working with them, but also presently taking up a lot of time as they are quite an interesting group.

I am really enjoying the new staff who have joined our school. They are a great, positive group of people. The boys also love their new teachers, who have made their learning fun and interesting even in these first few weeks. I hosted the first TGIF for all the staff at my house on the first Friday back. We had about 80 people here. I organized it potluck style, but had shashlik and plov for everyone. It was a great evening, and a good way to get to know the new teachers. I am looking forward to getting to know all of them better this year.

I have set a new goal for myself this year of not saying no to any invitations to do things. So far so good, although last night I could not go out dancing because I couldn't get a babysitter on such short notice - but that is different. On Sunday we are going out to a lake with a group of people - about 30 of us. There will be swimming, hiking, and hopefully it will be a lot of fun. On Tuesday we have a holiday due to Uzbek Independence day, and we will have lunch at Rosie's house because she leaves for China soon.

Yoga began again this week, and I have enjoyed stretching and toning. Next week I have set the goal of walking to school on the mornings that I don't have classes in the mornings. Due to our 4 day school week that can be between 2- 4 days a week. I just have to be well prepared in the mornings to ensure that it is done.

Now that I have successfully procrastinated for an hour I now have to return to preparing for next week's lessons. Think of me as I am honing my knowledge on Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism, and the basics of Democracy and Anarchy... :-)

Comments

Popular Posts