A sun salutation to the rising sun

This morning I got up at 7am, took the elevator down to the first floor and walked out to my yoga lesson.  The sun was starting to rise.  My teacher was there already, and my friend Anna also joined us.  We waited for another person who did not come, and then began our yoga. After our general stretching we always move into the sun salutations.  This morning it somehow was timed to the sun rising.  It was strange to realize the full meaning of the sun salutation in this early morning lesson.

Now, normally I don't do morning yoga, because our lessons are in the afternoon on Mondays and Fridays.  But our teachear rescheduled yesterday afternoon's lesson to the morning.  I found that I am not a morning yoga person.  Of course the sun was great, but I am just not ready to exercise to the normal level of stamina that I seem to have in the afternoon.  There was even one point where I felt so sick during the abs workout, that I almost had to run down to the pool bathroom to throw up.  I don't ever feel like that in our afternoon sessions.  

During these holidays I have committed to working out every morning in the gym with Anna, who is also doing the yoga with me.  But we tend to do the workout around 9:30 - I have about an hour and a half to putter around, drink my green tea, wash dishes and spend a bit of time on the computer.  Then I am ready for a full hour of morning work out.  On some days I also go down for a swim and sit in the warm Malaysian sun.  My goal is to carry over this healthy living and lifestyle to the next school year.  I am enjoying how I feel after my workouts, and think that feeling comfortable in the gym in terms of building my stamina will give me a higher comfort level to go down in the afternoons after school.  My yoga abilities are getting better also - my weakest area is still my abs.  But hopefully with more effort and focus on them in the gym and yoga, I will start to change that.  I have already begun to feel healthier, and see my muscles beginning to tone.  As always, weight loss is the last thing to happen, so I am not worried about that.  I am doing this for me and to help to manage my PCOS, not for how many kilos will go.  They will eventually, but not immediately - that is the nature of PCOS.

The time given now, is my preparation, the time following will be my attempt to become dedicated to becoming a more active individual.

Comments

Popular Posts