Is this life real?

The last few weeks I have been having a bit of a surreal feeling to my life. Yesterday I attended the school's Holiday Ball which is a fundraiser for our Scholarship students at school. The ball was a success, but as I was dropped off at the hotel by my driver, watching all of the people from the diplomatic and business community I realized that I am leading a very privileged life.

I was ferried around yesterday all day by my driver and when I came home my dishes had been washed and my house tidied by my housekeeper. This morning I woke up early and went into my sauna that heated up to the perfect temperature in a half hour, only to find that Nona had left a wonderful rice pudding on my table for breakfast. An hour later my landlord came in to tell me that he would pick up the boys who had sleepovers at friends' last night by eleven. All the while I was just able to relax a bit and have time to myself. Later he went shopping for me at the bazaar. I actually have a lot of quality time together with the boys too.

So, I think to myself that is that I actually deserve this type of life for a while, or should I not be getting too used to it? What will life be like once I go to my next location? How will I readjust to having to do everything myself? No sauna, no pool, no housekeeper, no driver, less time with my kids...

Can I say that this is my real life for now, and not think about what will come in the future?

Comments

Marite said…
Just choose another school where you get all this same stuff- when I was in China I had a pretty flash apartment, a maid (she didn't cook for me, but she could have), cheap everything and things to do galore. Uzbekistan is definitely not the only place you can have this standard of living- I firmly believe that anyway.

Popular Posts