Friday at last

What a week it has been. I am exhausted emotionally, mentally, and physically. I am very pleased that it is Friday, and I will have a week to rest up - I could really use more, but I guess I should count my blessings that I even have a holiday right now.

I am most worried about a friend right now, and can't comment on it here as it connects to work. But it is making me worry in general and those of you who know me well, know that I take the heartache of friends personally. But preparing and focusing the students for the Exhibition research has also taken its toll.

One really nice thing that happened today was an Uzbek Studies Assembly at school. Each class presented about Uzbekistan in the context of the PYP units they had been focusing on over the past semester. Namejs class has been learning about Tashkent a lot, but as a result they learned a lot about musical instruments and dance. The boys learned to play a dorja which is a small drum, while the girls learned to dance. Namejs was the narrator for his class. Didzis' class focused on riddles (all of which were very similar to old Latvian riddles...). This is the first time that the students have presented about Uzbekistan in an authentic context, and it was the first real connection the school has had to the country it is located in. It was meaningful learning with enduring understandings (great PYP speak for those of you who know it ;-) ).

Here is a picture of Namejs doing his narrating. He was wearing a traditional Uzbek national costume:



He was quite cute, and I got lots of compliments from other teachers about how clearly he read, and that he held his folder down instead of up. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts