spices and foods

These pictures are for my dietitian so that she can see what I have available in the bazaar in terms of spices and how food is sold here. After taking all these pictures in the bazaar it was almost impossible to get a decent price for any of the spices. The grains people, though were still quite honest. :-)

Spices: brown top were cinnamon, coriander, anise stars. Not sure what is front, in the metal scoop is the black cumin.


Red peppers. big bags of everything in the back is how the spices are orignally delivered to the market.



I am not sure what all the green spices are, but they are mostly teas. Basil is not dried here because it is not used much in many dishes except in the fresh version. It is grown as a decorative plant.


I have no idea what these are, neither did my teaching assistant from school.


Same thing from a different angle.


The "big picture."

Just more red pepper - I was impressed by the mounds.


Korean salads - a long view. I don't normally buy these in the bazaar as I am not sure how they prepare them, and am leery of pre-prepared foods due to the high instance of stomach problems here. One of my colleagues has a Korean neighbor across the street from whom she buys Kimbab. She is looking into possibly buying other things too.


Available Korean items: including dried tofu.


Rice noodles and sauces with carrot(spicy) and beet salads.


Rice noodle salad, Tofu salad, cucumber salad, the containers in front are kimchee.
Beet salad, egglplant salad, rice noodle salad carrot salad.

Variations on corn, and wheat grains.


This is how I buy my popcorn.

The next set of pictures are the foods that are available at present and most of the winter.


I have no idea what these yellow things are?


The green things are radishes. I used them at Thanksgiving in my stuffing instead of celery which you can't get here. But you can get celery root...

The spinach and sorrel are seasonal, but the resta are regularly available.


I learned from my teaching assistant that these are last year's grapes, and that you can get them all year round - who knew...?

Pomegranates from the last season with imported apples, pears, and plums.

Dried fruits - mostly apricots and figs, rose hips in the back. Peanuts in the shell, almonds in the shell, chickpeas.

Peanuts and almonds wrapped in sugar (the white ones on the left), raisins, peanuts in sesame seeds, the white ones on the right are apricot seeds that have been roasted: you open the seed and inside is a nut reminiscent of almonds, the white coloring is salty.

Figs, rosehips, raisins.

Chickpeas in all their forms: dried, after having been soaked in water, ground flour.


Uzbek barberries - always black - these ones are supposed to be fresh.

Comments

Popular Posts