Xmas time in Latvia

This year's Christmas holiday in Latvia was really enjoyable. Perhaps it was my own attitude about life this time around, but I can't but help think that somehow the weather also had something to do with it. It was absolutely gorgeous! Normally we have the dreary, dark, rainy winter, but this year there was snow almost everyday, and when there wasn't snow it was nose hair freezing cold which meant that the sky was blue. Of course the sun still only rose around 8:30 and began setting around 3:00, but with the light a positive energy seemed to flow from everyone around.

I also enjoyed visits with many friends, good long, deep conversations, that I purposefully made time for rather than running like mad from one person to the next. Although life has been hard in Latvia, everyone has been taking it in stride. It seems as if people are remembering the good and positive things they have in life rather than being solely focused on the economical side of life. Even if we all couldn't afford to give and receive all that we wanted, the time spent together seemed to be more important. This is something that I had not felt in Latvia in a long time. It was one of the reasons I had originally moved there because I thought the people were not so consumer oriented, and valued nature and life in general more than in other places I had previously lived. The strong economic times pulled people away from that: they are smiling about the small things, helping others, and valuing each other's company more with every day. I was even helped to fix a popped tire on the busiest street in Riga by a kind person, and then the tire company where I had bought the tire three days earlier replaced the tire free of charge. Perhaps a little crisis in our lives is a good thing. This Christmas I began to feel that perhaps some day I could return to Latvia.

Basteja Kalns on my first day:



Here is the Christmas market that I spent several days visiting:





A lot of the time was spent was with my sister and her family. It was a positive experience and we all seemed to feel a lot closer this year. I think that part of it for me was that I was able to spend more time with the boys prior to the 24th. They already arrived at my home on the 22nd. We spent a day shopping together with their cousins, and in the evening went to the market together where they sledded while the adults just enjoyed the market atmosphere. The next day we also went sledding before Christmas Eve dinner.






Christmas Eve dinner we spent together with Eriks brother's family, and his Mom. For dinner we had both duck and a seafood mixture. I was responsible for the ducks. Everything was delicious, and as is our family tradition we once again made way too much food! The kids were the only ones receiving presents, and they all had to say short poems to receive them. To Namejs' great excitement no one else wanted to be the elf this year, and he got to pass out presents to everyone, so that all the kids got a chance to take turns in opening something. The evening went late, but it was enjoyable.






The next morning I dropped off the boys to visit with their Dad feeling a bit lonely without them, but in general ready to enjoy my alone time until the 30th. This holiday I was also finally able to rest and relax. The boys' Dad moved to Saudi Arabia on the 31st, and somehow during these holidays we were finally able to come to some general agreements about the boys and financial issues. Hopefully these agreements will all be a beginning to a new era in taking equal responisibility for the boys.

Comments

Popular Posts