I really am a geek

So, I have been in Singapore for the last few days, and will be here through Sunday.  I have come to an the IB Asia Pacific Leadership Conference:  http://www.ibo.org/ibap/conference/

I was so excited for the sessions to begin that I wanted to be in each room early to get good seats and be ready to listen and learn.  I really am geeky - I just can't believe how much I miss learning from others who are enthusiastic about what we do as educators in these programs.

I realize I miss working in the IB and am so ready to begin it again next year.  I realize I also miss working with PYP and MYP teachers - the program really is different to what happens at my school presently, and I think it builds the level of learning towards the DP.

I have especially been enjoying the Keynote sessions.  The first one with Hans Rosling was brilliant, especially as I have used his materials in my class:  http://www.gapminder.org
I reevaluated my understanding of population growth from the lecture and have higher hopes for the world's ability to move beyond at least that issue.



Today's session with Sarah Kay reminded me of the power of the spoken word in the form of poetry - almost like story telling, but much stronger.  :-)



 The sessions from the other days: 

Paul Nickeln:  National Geographic Photographer.

http://www.paulnicklen.com/

And Kiran Bedi:  The first female Indian Police Officer who works against corruption.



The sessions that I have bee attending have all connected to the CAS position that I will be taking on next year.  It is based around getting kids involved beyond the academics and bringing in service and other opportunities to the school.  I am being inspired by other programs and look forward to more in the next days.

Why am I really a geek?  Because I have no desire to see Singapore, and just look forward to tomorrow's conference session!  I can always come back here to see things, I live so close!


Comments

Popular Posts