Spring Vacation

So, spring break began this week.  In general it is great to have time to just slow down.  The last week at school was  a bit crazy.  The week had begun with a field trip to a Da Vinci exhibit, followed by Art Week at school.  I worked hard with all the kids to have them do something that was connected to the curriculum with an art link.  The largest task was making a Mona Lisa mosaic with the year 7s using pictures from our field trip as the mosaic pieces.  The kids worked on it for two days - three different groups. It turned out quite nicely.  My year 10s created propaganda posters based on WWII German and US propaganda posters.

Below is the Mona Lisa (yes her face is a bit scary...) and my favorite propaganda posters.


 


Namejs had stayed longer in KL than Didzis to be able to participate in his play.  There was a bit of an issue with his Dad about this, but in the long run Namejs convinced him that he should be able to stay and Dad changed his ticket.  He was quite the actor in his role as Snotty Tom in the play called Free.  He had to be the one to steal cookies while a class was left unattended due to a substitute mix up - I know that makes little sense, but that is what happened...  Namejs' recounting of the cookie theft with his partner in crime was one of the better scenes in the play.  I was proud of his choice to remain longer in school to meet his commitment to the play.


Going off to steal the cookies from the school receptionist.


Trying to prove he didn't still RM50 from another classmate's pencil case.

Ohhh, the things that would happen in schools without us teachers around. :-) 

The few days following the end of school we have gone out with friends a few times.  Namejs wanted to go to the Pork Place.  This is one of our favorite places to eat as it is not always easy to get a pork meal in a Muslim country where most restaurants are halal.







We also went to purchase some bean bags for the living room as we have been having an issue with enough seating and sharing seating - brotherly love....  We drove around for ages trying to find the store, but it appeared to have been replaced by something else that did not approximate a furniture store.  Instead we went to Ikea - yes, a dangerous option.  We went and we bought.  We got a comfortable arm chair, some picture frames and storage boxes.  As a result of these purchases my evening and next day were taken up with organizing.

I finally put some pictures into frames that have been awaiting the opportunity to be seen, and put the armchair together.  You would think that Ikea would at least pre-build armchairs, but no... Following that the living room was just not right. So while contemplating the cleaning to be done the next day, I considered how best to reorganize the living room, the storage room, and my room.  And the following day I did just that.  We now have a tidy storage room, no clutter on the floor in my room and a reorganized sitting area.  The apartment is beginning to feel homier.  The only thing left to organize are the papers on my desk that have eagerly been awaiting containers and some semblance of connection to the right documents.  One of the projects for these two weeks.  But it should be enjoyable, as I tire to of never being able to find anything...

Here is Didzi's pastel drawing finally put into a frame.


And an organized storage room...

And my living room with a new chair.



How will I spend the rest of the holidays?  Car service, dentist appointment, doctors appointments, a trip to Melaka, and a trip or two to KL.  I look forward to not being limited by the choices of others and having an opportunity to be on my own.  This is my coveted time, although without my children, a time when I can replenish my energy stores and be responsible for myself alone.

Comments

Popular Posts