Latvia 1 – The Bag Lady

During my time in Latvia I named myself the Bag Lady. I was continually moving from one place to the next and never stayed anywhere longer than a few days. I had so many bags, and so many instances where that one item that was absolutely needed was left in another location. My three main locations were my Mom’s apartment, my apartment, and the room in Jurmala/Melluzi. Yet, I was also in Munich for a week – where I stayed in two locations, and I went to Aina’s and Eriks’ country house near Aluksne for a week also. Each occasion of course required a different type of bag or clothing.

My largest summer tasks were to clean, repair and prepare my apartment for my renters. It took longer than I expected and I really did not enjoy the process of cleaning (especially the cat hair), painting and packing. But I got it done, and afterwards felt a certain satisfaction in the accomplishments. Right now my belongings are all in a storage area in Pardaugava, and I will have access to them whenever I need them. Once again I was not able to sell my car, and left it with friends so that I can use it upon my return trips.

I was able to spend enough nice days at the beach to earn a Latvian tan. I do miss the beach right now – the freshness of the sea air is one thing that I love in Jurmala.

All the while I was contemplating life in Latvia. I was reading the paper, remembering the things I don’t like about it, the things I do like, and not really knowing what to think about living there. I know that I love seeing my family and friends there. But it is always so rushed and a little crazy. This summer was nice in that many people had come over for the song festival and therefore family not seen in a long time, new family members via Mum’s friend, and then close family friends made for an interesting visiting period.

Mum and I also went to a number of song festival concerts. This was a reminder of my strong feeling towards all things culturally Latvian – which were never a daily part of my life while living in Latvia. A good dose of patriotism was added in and I found myself wondering if that really drew me in anymore. I certainly don’t get the tears I used to in my eyes at certain songs, I don’t want to put flowers at the freedom monument every time I return, and I just don’t have the patience with some the over nationalistic statements I hear too often. Yet, there is still something there that pulls at my heartstrings.

What is it that continues to draw me to Latvia? I can list the millions of things that push me away. Shouldn’t it be as easy as writing up a list and comparing it? But what point value do you apply to those items that tear at your heart in comparison to those many societal problems? Do I have some responsibility towards my nation of heritage that should go beyond my family and its financial needs? Is it enough for me to just visit Latvia during my holidays to enjoy my culture and the nation? This last summer made me feel that it just might be OK to do just that.

Comments

Marite said…
I keep meaning to tell you that when I visited my classroom the first time, my teaching partner told me this totally crazy story about how one day this kid was getting his snack out of the full size fridge, he opened the door, and it fell off. Luckily, she was standing right there, and stopped the door from squashing the kid.

I then had to tell her about how you said this same thing happened to your fridge. So, there you go- two fridges with which there was absolutely nothing wrong, both lost their doors all of sudden one day.

It made me wonder if it's something that happens more often than one would think... weird.
Our Adventures said…
It is strange - I've never heard of it happening before. But maybe it is just a usage issue. 15 kids a day in school; Namejs and Didzis searching for something to snack on 20 times a day... :-)

Popular Posts