New School Year

Ok, so this is the middle of the second week of school. I have had a rollercoaster ride from the first day. At the end of the year I had to pack up my entire classroom because I was told that due to a lack of space that I would be relocated to the new "container" classrooms. I was assured that the classes would be completed before my arrival.

Needless to say they weren't - and I never really expected them to be. The first week we watched as they put up the walls and roof of our building, pulled in the electricity, laid a second layer of concrete, painted the inside and put in the linoleum. The day before school began a team of cleaning ladies whipped in and cleaned everything from top to bottom while my assistant and I put things up on the walls and put items into a desks and set up the kids desks. We had hoped to have some of our ordered cabinets to put into the room, but they only arrived later.

Two weeks later we have emptied some boxes into the cabinets, but have many boxes (including my classroom library!) that need a home. We are still waiting for the remainder of the cabinets, our curtains, and our computers to be hooked up. Today I did get my LCD projector though.:-)

The most fun part was designing the furniture for the room while also choosing the colors for the built ins and the curtains. I am looking forward to seeing how it all comes together in the end - I think it will be the coolest room in the school. :-) I will post pictures once everything is complete.

My class really has a nice bunch of kids although a few of them are continually testing the boundaries. We are settling into successful routines that with last year's group were a struggle the entire year. I was beginning to think I had lost my touch, but right now it seems to be working well... touch wood, spit over my shoulder three times...

The boys have also settled into school nicely. Namejs has the same teacher that Didzis had from last year for grade 3. This is making it the first year where he fully knows the teacher, and has gained so much confidence in himself that he is no longer the shy, quiet one in class. I think it will be a great year for him!

Didzis has a male teacher this year which will be really good for him. The teacher makes his kids work hard and I know that he will be a really great male role model for Didzis. I think that Didzis will do really well in school this year and I look forward to fewer homework struggles.

Comments

Popular Posts