Full moon

I think it might have been the full moon last night that kept me up all night. But it looks a bit different than in Latvia. Somehow the flat part that shows the waxing and waning is lower down. My Mom taught me how to tell if it is waxing or waning using the Latvian words for it:

"Briest" is waxing and "dilst" is waning.

When the moon looks like a small b then it is waxing. If it is like a small d then it is waning.

I suppose I could just look it up too, but it is easier to explain the lack of sleep due to the moon rather than due to just not being able to fall asleep. :-)

OK, so I did just look it up and it appears that if I did see the full moon last night that it would have been the Hunters Moon. (An American name, no clue as to the Uzbek name. The Native Americans named it the Beaver moon. Other names are the forst moon or the snow moon.

When I saw the harvest moon here it was amazing. It was so much lower in the sky, and the yellow was intense.

Comments

Popular Posts