The cold slows everything down...

Because the weather is unusually cold, and the snow is sticking around, everything is slowing down here. The roads are not cleaned very well, and the drivers are more nervous about driving. As the days warm up, the melting water freezes over night. Cars' heaters are not working, and people are kind of huddling in their apartments.

It is probably good that we had to stay home anyway this weekend so that I could begin my reports. My house is nice and toasty warm, but we still don't have water in the house. I am bringing in pots of water from the sauna bathroom to do my dishes and flush the toilet inside. We all showered this morning over there as well, but I did not have the energy to deal with a sauna. I had forgotten how to wash dishes this way, but it is amazing how quickly it comes back...

I am lucky that it is just my water right now. Many others are dealing with continual electric outages, and no heat. One friend's apartment is only 8 degrees celsius. BRrRrR...

The boys have spent a good deal of time playing outside in the snow, and have been enjoying using the empty pool as a different kind of area to play in. One strange thing is that there is nowhere to sled. We have watched kids sledding down these really small ditch areas in pure joy. My students tell me that they slide down the edge of small ponds onto the ponds. But there are no real hills on which to enjoy sledding!

Only people with really good cars are driving into the mountains. Trains are not heated, so not much travel is occurring.

Everyone is waiting for the weather to change. Two weeks of winter is a long winter here! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts