First Snow

Last night it snowed! the snow didn't stick on the streets, but everywhere on top of buildings and nature. It was a wet, heavy snow. Winter is here. Last night I pulled out my down comforter for my bed and snuggled in after putting two comforters on the boys. Today we turned up the heat to warm the house for the night.

I went to the International Women's bazaar today. I bought a few gifts and a few things that I haven't really seen elsewhere. I should have a full suitcase coming home. :-)

I also went to what is called Novoij Street - it is a strip of simply electronics stores. The school has a scholarship fundraising holiday ball coming up and each class has to put together a basket for the silent auction. The room parents are responsible for this and I am the grade 3 room parent. It was a bit of struggle to get everyone on board for the kids choice of a computer whiz basket. I finally convinced parents to simply send in cash, and in the end I had 140,000 sum. (a little over $100/ 50Ls) I got a huge amount of items. I would never be able to buy that much in Latvia for the same amount: speakers, a webcam, a keyboard, a mousepad, a mouse, a game controller, a vacuum for the keyboard, cleaning cloths, a light attachment, a power surge protector, headphones. After all of the stress of contacting parents I am hoping that the basket will bring in a pretty penny. The class that earns the most money gets a prize!

But what surprised me the most was the location where I got these things. The street is absolutely packed, people are rushing in without caring about running into other people (almost as if they might miss the best deal!), and there is so much of everything. Anything you need is there if you have the money. But it is almost all dominated by men. Not only in the stores, but all the purchasers are men. No one took me seriously as a buyer, and I was ignored to start with in some stores. The first store I went into was great, as there was a female salesperson, and she helped me. A little strange, but very obviously a division in the role of men and women in purchasing electronic goods - even refrigerators and stoves.

By the way, this week I haven't been able to see the blog and any comments that some of you may have written. I have to say I have been enjoying reading them, but also greatly enjoy the e-mails I have been getting about the blog. It makes me more motivated to write, and I feel like I have an audience of friends and family. Thanks! :-)

Comments

Popular Posts